I have been a lab technologist for 16 years... wow... that makes me sound old... but anyway... most of those 16 years I have worked in Transfusion Medicine. I have spent some time in all the hospitals in Calgary as well as overseas in Saudi Arabia... and I have seen "up close and personal" the difference that blood transfusion makes to those in need.
The things they can do these days with modern day medicine/surgery etc is amazing... but truly... one very important component to it all is transfusion.... without it... people would die... because blood = life.
Now I work at Canadian Blood Services... I feel that I have made the full circle from "vein to vein". Here in Calgary, in the donor testing lab, we further ensure the safety of all blood products through laboratory tests for blood group, antibodies and transmissible diseases.
In Calgary, we do all the testing for BC/Yukon, Alberta/NWT, Sask and Manitoba. The bags of blood stay where they are collected but 5 tubes of blood (for each donation) are send to us. Testing on each unit is completed within 24 hours. Each month over 32 000 donations are tested, we handle close to 2 millions samples every year!!!
But statistics show that our regular donor pool is not growing fast enough to match the increasing demand for these products. So I challenge you to get out there... and give the gift of life!! You never know when you or someone close to you may need it... and when that happens... you certainly want it to be there.
Did you know...
Every 60 seconds someone in Canada needs blood.
Each unit of blood has the potential to improve or save up to 3 lives.
52% of Canadians say they or a family member have needed blood or blood products.
On average, 4.6 units of blood are needed for each patient.
It takes about 50 donors to collect enough blood for a victim of a car accident.
Approximately 450 000 Canadians are active blood donors.
Giving blood is one of the most direct ways you can help someone. When you donate, your unit of blood is typically used within 5 days!!
Stats taken from a issue of ABOut Us! courtesy of CBS. Pictogram borrowed from CBS website.
For more information on how to find a clinic near you or to book an appointment click here.
Thanks for listening!!
Nicole v




1 comment:
Wonderful info Nicole. Thanks for posting this. I will send it on to all on my email list. Good goin'!
hugs, GAT
Post a Comment